Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Haunted House

I took this picture at an old, burnt down house that I always pass on my way out to the beach. For awhile now I've had an image of a photo shoot at this location. I wanted to have my friend/model Nicolette dress in some sort of dramatic, old fashioned garb and do a ghostly, Wuthering Heights inspired shoot. Yesterday I went out there alone to get a feel for the site and see what the lighting was like. I spent a grand total of five minutes there. The line "This is when the audience is screaming at you not to go any further" ran through my head a few times, an ominous "No Tresspassing" sign hung on the front of the building, and a swarm of flies were buzzing in a Lord of The Flies fashion. I snapped a few shots, chickened out, and left. Being there felt wrong. I don't know if I believe in ghosts, but it felt haunted. Perhaps I was just picking up on greif from the fire. I had expected the building to be empty, but there was burnt furniture and a destroyed piano still inside. Perhaps those items were what freaked me out. Signs of life and signs of the dead mixed together without borders: it's a very gothic concept. Whatever the reasons for my feelings, I felt like I was invading an area that should not be invaded, so I left.

No comments: